ATM Operators make money from their ATM business several ways. If you own and operate ATM’s and process with us you make money from the surcharge fee and the interbank interchange. ATM Depot also provides additional income opportunities for ATM Deployers in the form of on screen graphics creation for advertising opportunities, customized ATM wraps for branding and advertising, help with parts and service, as well as the ability to offer cash loading services (aka vaulting service). We also offer a free press release service to announce your locations and help your customer awareness.
Surcharge Income Example
- Surcharge Amount – $2.00
- Your income per use – $2.10
- 5 uses per day – $10.50
- 30 days – $315.00
- 12 months $3780.00
How do you build income and wealth with ATM Machines?
ATMDepot.com Customers make money from their ATM business in several ways.
- ATM Owners and Operators can charge their ATM customers (ATM cardholders) a surcharge fee for using their ATM. You’re able to charge this fee because as the owner or operator of an ATM Machine you are providing a convenient service that offers individuals the opportunity to save time if they need to access money from their bank without the hassle of going to their own bank or ATM. ATM Depot customers set their own surcharge fee during the setup process and receive up to 110% of this fee. That’s right, we said up to 110% (that’s one hundred and ten percent) of the fee you charge.*
- Banks that issue ATM cards (called issuers) also have to pay a small fee to the ATM networks (like Visa – “Plus network” or MasterCard “Cirrus Network”) for connecting their ATM cardholders to their corresponding bank. This is called interchange. So the way ATM Depot can offer customers up to 110% of their surcharge is by sharing some of this interchange. The interchange varies by network and all the fees for operating the ATM business come out of this fee. ATM Depot takes a few of the pennies that are left over and then shares them with their customers based on type of location and number of transactions. The additional fee ATM Depot customers earn is typically $0.05 to $0.15 over their surcharge.
- If you are a store owner, ATM Depot offers a free Video Press Release with each ATM machine purchased, placed or reprogrammed so you also benefit from the additional traffic to your store as well as when customers withdraw funds they typically spend more in the store.
ATMDepot.com does not charge any fees to operate an ATM.
- No Monthly Fee
- No Minimum
- No Online Monitoring Fee
- No fee for 24 hour tech support
All the income generated by the ATM
is kept by the ATM owner.
The ATM Owner decides who shares in the revenue and completes a “payee” form for ATM Depot. ATM Depot’s processing center distributes the surcharge revenue share according to the ATM owners instructions.
An ATM Owner can sometimes be referred to as the ATM Operator. Sometimes one individual, a group of individuals, or a company can own the actual ATM and someone else can operate the ATM. Meaning load it with cash (this would be the vaulter), handle any service issues (albeit rare), do the account balancing and operate the business.
Remember, it costs you nothing to process ATM transactions with ATMDepot. There are no hidden charges. We can also pay up to 5 different people involved with your ATM business. The ATM Owner, Cash Loader (vaulter), Investor, Retailer or location, etc. Call us or Sign up now to find out all the benefits of working with ATM Depot.
So how do you build wealth and income in the ATM business?
Since the average ATM processes roughly 180 transactions or so monthly we can do the math. Let’s say your ATM happens to be in an area where the average fee to use the ATM is $2.50. Using just the surcharge alone your ATM would earn $450 per month.
We use 180 transactions since that is the average of all machines processing on our network at this time. Some machines do fewer, some do many more. The slowest machines may only be used 2 – 3 times per day, which would be 60 – 90 transactions monthly. However busy machines might be used as much as 20 – 30 times per day which would be 600 – 900 monthly transactions. You can do the math. The better and busier the location, the faster your wealth and income from the ATM builds.
How much do you need to put in the ATM?
A standard ATM machine like the Hyosung Halo will hold 700 – 1,000 notes. This is much more than you would need to put in the ATM. Most ATM owners load the cash daily if they are on site in the store. Adding just fifty or so $20 bills (about $1,000). Since the average withdrawal is around $60 or so, again, depending on the location, if you have a busy machine that should last the entire day. If you want to start with less and check the ATM balance using our real-time monitoring system you can always login to make sure your machine never runs out if you manage off site machines.
Banking regulations state that a cardholder must be able to withdraw a maximum of $200 when paying a surcharge. You can set limits and pre-configured “dispense amounts” regarding how much can be taken out of your ATM, but the rules state if someone wants to withdraw $200 they can. Keep in mind that the national average withdrawal is $60, but some higher end locations do see higher withdrawals. This means the ATM is busy and you will probably make more money, but you will also need to either load more cash, or visit more often.
The average surcharge is typically set between $2.00 – $3.00. If you own the ATM you can set it at whatever you want, however some states have specific maximums. If you’re not sure what the legal limit is in your state click here and ask us. All of the money taken out of your ATM is directly deposited back into your checking account each business day from the previous days usage. All funds go through the Federal Reserve ACH (automated clearing house).
Funds from surcharge income are direct deposited into your checking account also, but at the end of each month for easy bookkeeping. It’s just like having your credit card charges direct deposited into your checking account. One of the most frequently asked questions we receive is how much can I make with an ATM. This is not always easy to answer.
An outdoor ATM or one of our Drive Up or Walk up kiosks can produce twenty-five (25) transactions a day or more (that’s only 1 per hour). With 25 transactions per day you would earn over $1600 per month.
The average ATM in a retail environment (not a bank) does about 6 – 10 transactions per day. Keep in mind that there are ATM owners only doing two or three transactions a day on an ATM too but there are also ATM owners that have ATM machines that have 30 – 40 transactions per day.
If you surcharge $2.00 ATMdepot.com pays you between $2.00 – $2.15 based on your transaction volume and number of ATMs with us. As of 2013 the national average surcharge is closer to $2.50 or $3.00, but whatever you charge, you earn the entire amount. ATMDepot does not keep a penny of the surcharge, that is 100% yours to keep.
- This means if your ATM does 3 – 4 transactions per day you could earn between $180 and up to $360 or more per month.
- If your ATM falls in the average usage of 6 – 7 per day, and you charged $2.50 you would earn between $15 – $17.5 per day, at $3.00 you would earn over $20 per day or between $360 – $600 per month.
* If your surcharge fee is higher than $1.50 your maximum revenue share will be 100% of your surcharge plus up to 10% of the first $1.50.
Obviously owning or operating just one ATM machine isn’t going to make you wealthy, unless perhaps it’s at a very busy casino or you have it in a trailer and go to mobile events and it gets 100 – 200 uses daily. These are rare but we do see some machines that have 100+ uses daily. If you have a location that could effectively have 100 uses or more daily at a $3.00 surcharge, that one machine could earn you close to $10,000 monthly.
The typical way Independent ATM Deployer’s (IAD’s) get a wealthy income ATM route is by focusing on a local area and putting 6 – 12 machines on an ATM route. Like vending machines, you would not want to drive all over the place all day to load machines. If your desire is to just have one ATM to generate some passive income or subsidize a full or part time job, that’s also great. It’s easy to do.
However, if your desire is to build a wealthy income ATM route, you’ll need to focus on a specific geographic region. Visit, and patronize the local businesses or locations you think would be best suited for an ATM. If the locations already have an ATM, maybe they are not happy with their service, or the owner of the location doesn’t like loading cash or letting employees handle the ATM machine. Here is where the experience of ATM Depot can help you. We’ve been in the ATM business for over 20 years. We offer free advice and are happy to answer your questions in order for you to grow a successful wealth income generative ATM business.